I have been running my version of the Node.js HouseMon for almost a year. Its predominantly based upon the 0.7 build with many of my own additions.
The Raspberry PI’s that are running my versions have had a few glitches, mainly due to power ‘brown-outs’ and corrupt SD cards. I intend to do something about that in the next few weeks.
Things generally don’t stand still for long, and I myself was finding the Node.js way of coding/upgrading Housemon a little tiresome.
Then a funny thing happened that sort of got me full circle to 2+ years ago.
Jean-Claude mentioned that he would be moving HouseMon in a different direction!!!.
Out with Node.js and in with Google’s GO.
Its a funny world….it was back 2.5 years ago, I used an early version of GO to build the routines I used to replace the CurrentCost data feeds with those in my own Google Docs spreadsheets. I liked GO then, but it was early days for GO and the eco-system support was not that great – I did not get that excited about it back then.
Back to the present, and HouseMon is moving fwd using GO, I have been very busy porting my old 0.7 functionality to this new platform, and have almost reached the watershed point where I will be switching over from my old 0.7 system in the next week.
This post brings this blog up to date with regards to the ‘Rewind’ posts. Those posts are really a bit of a quick background to where things are at today.
Specifically the end of this post forms the basis for the start of a number of future posts about my environmental monitoring efforts, and how they maybe translate into information that has/will provide benefits for my family and I (and perhaps you!).
I will try and cover the new GO based HouseMon, from how to get started as a user, to using it as a development platform.
I’ll provide insights into my sensor network and a few of the other things I added to it to help my family.
I’ll also cover the things I have done as a result of specifically having this information available.